Google

Telescope Pictures So Far

 

All these pictures were produced using the un-modified Philips ToUCam Pro II. The images were captured to a Windows .AVI file and then processed using Registax2.

 

Saturn

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jupiter

 

 

Venus

 

Venus transit of the Sun

Better safe than sorry

 

Here we go then

 

About half way through

 

Nearly over now

 

Third contact

 

A shot with my digital camera down the focuser

 

The Moon

Copernicus, Eratosthenes, Appenines and Archimedes

 

Mare Serenitatis

 

Archimedes and Plato

 

Tycho and Clavius

 

 

Watch this space (No pun intended)

 

Pictures Taken Using TouCamPro II Modification

Here are the long exposure pictures I have managed to get so far.

Finally, after over four weeks of waiting, I had a small clear spell on the 30th March so I set up the scope and camera. The seeing was poor, I live too close to the town centre as well, and there was quite a bit of wind.

Although the pictures may not be spectacular (yet) it shows that the long exposure modification of the camera is working correctly.

 

Orion Nebula

Firstly I tried to capture the Orion nebula. The first picture shows an unmodified camera view taken about a month earlier, and the second a stack of only three frames from a six frame set of five second exposures. Because of the wind I dare not try longer exposures because of the telescope movement. As it was only half of the frames were usable because of this.

           

By the time it was dark enough to photograph the nebula it was nearly out of sight, (note to self: must knock down neighbours house), and this was the only opportunity I had. I hope to get a focal reducer soon so that I can capture more of the nebula next time.

I was quite pleased with the result given the amount of time I had and the conditions.

 

Moons of Saturn

Next I tried to capture as many of Saturns moons as I could. The exposures required were not very long, between 1/2 and 1 second, as the brightness of the planet would have taken over the whole shot. I have added the output from SkyMap Pro to the exposures, to show the expected positions of the moons.

I managed to pick out four of the six moons in the shot. Mimas and Enceladus were too close to Saturn to show up in the exposure.

 

Moons of Jupiter

I then tried the same with Jupiter. The exposure time was small once again, and the results quite good. As with Saturn, I added a SkyMap Pro output to the image to identify the moons.

 

Keep checking back here to see when I have more results to show.

 

 

Return to main telescope page

 

Copyright 2004 - 2007 Phil Davis

email: phil@philchris.co.uk

Last updated 2nd December 2009